Faculty / Staff FAQ’s (CC)

Faculty and staff play an instrumental role in supporting students as they navigate the COVID-19 pandemic, the pandemic of racism and the nation’s current culture wars, while also working to pursue their academic goals. Below are resources to help staff and faculty members identify what students may be experiencing, ways to support students, and ways to engage in self-care along the way. It takes all of us to create a Culture of Care. Find resources to support both our students and ourselves by going here: UNCG Culture Of Care
The Counseling Center is often asked for guidance on how faculty can support student mental health. One strategy is having a statement on the course syllabus regarding the availability of health services. Below is a recommended statement that could be used in a syllabus, or shared in any fashion with students.

Health & Wellness Syllabus Statement

Health and well-being impact learning and academic success. Throughout your time in college, you may experience a range of concerns that can cause barriers to your academic success. These might include illnesses, strained relationships, anxiety, high levels of stress, alcohol or drug problems, feeling down, or loss of motivation. Student Health Services and The Counseling Center can help with these or other issues you may experience.

You can learn about the free, confidential mental health services available on campus by calling 336-334-5874, visiting the website at https://shs.uncg.edu/ or visiting the Anna M. Gove Student Health Center at 107 Gray Drive.

For students in recovery from alcohol and other drug addiction, The Spartan Recovery Program (SRP) offers recovery support services. You can learn more about recovery and recovery support services by visiting https://shs.uncg.edu/srp or reaching out to recovery@uncg.edu.


Faculty/Staff FAQ’s

A: Our professional staff includes licensed Psychologists, Counselors, Clinical Social Workers, a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner as well as Graduate Trainees who provide short term individual counseling, group therapy, crisis intervention, psychiatric services, consultation, and outreach activities.
A: Some examples include anxiety, depression, substance use, family concerns, relationship issues, identity concerns, loneliness, trouble making friends, mood swings, eating disorders, suicidal thoughts, emotional/phyiscal/sexual abuse and sexual assault.
A: Fees for services at the CC are included in tuition. There are no additional fees charged to students who are seeking services during the same semester for which they are enrolled. However, be aware that students failing to cancel a scheduled CC appointment at least 24 hours in advance will be charged a $25 no-show fee.
A: Appointments may be scheduled by contacting the CC Front Desk at 336.334.5874. Walk-in services are also available Monday through Friday between the hours of 12:00PM & 5:00PM to students who want to meet with a clinician immediately.
A: Therapists are available to consult with you by phone or in person about how to support students who are ambivalent about entering therapy.
A: If students wish to participate in therapy for extra credit, the Counseling Center can provide a list of on-campus or community providers who can help. The Counseling Center does not provide documentation of therapy visits without students' express written permission.
A: Our staff is available to conduct presentations to facilitate students’ life skills development and mental health. Outreach Workshops on a variety of topics can be scheduled by logging on to https://recwell.uncg.edu/wellness/, or by calling The Counseling Center (336-334-5874) or RecWell (336-334-5924) and asking for Wellness. We ask that you schedule presentations at least two weeks ahead of time.
A: Appointments for therapy generally last between 30 to 50 minutes. The initial appointment for medication management is 60 minutes and 20 minutes for each follow up appointment.
A: The CC is located in Gove Student Health Center (107 Gray Drive) on the 2nd floor.
A: In order to check-in for appointments at the CC, students must bring their UNCG Student ID and swipe their card at check-in. A series of mental health assessment questions and paperwork will need to be completed. After the initial appointment, there will not be as much paperwork to complete for follow-up appointments.
A: Students are scheduled to meet with their therapists every 2-3 weeks. If a student is seeking more intensive or specialized treatment, the Clinical Case Manager is available to assist with connecting to off-campus providers & resources.
A: The CC has a Board-Certified Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner who prescribes medication. All insurances are accepted except for Medicaid and Medicare. UNCG Student Health Services has a pharmacy on-site for students to conveniently access most prescription and over-the- counter medications.
A: Prescription medications for the treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and related conditions will not be issued without testing that is current and completed within 3 years prior to seeking services with the Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. If testing is needed the CC will assist the student with obtaining it.
A: No. To schedule an appointment for medication management, a student must first participate in an initial consultation appointment with a therapist and then be referred to the Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. Students do not have to participate in ongoing therapy to receive medication management.
A: Students have the option to transfer care to the CC. Keep in mind, during the initial appointment at the CC, the clinician will work with the student to determine a treatment plan and level of care recommendation.
A: All services at the CC are confidential unless there is indication of harm, abuse, or neglect to self/others. If a student is over 18, no one will be notified, including parents, that services are being received at the CC unless the student provides permission for the CC to do so. For students under the age of 18, a signed authorization must be provided by their parents or guardians prior to receiving services at the CC.