About Student Health Services

 

UNCG Photo by Rebekah Kates - 04/14/2007 - The newly re-modeled Anna M. Gove Student Health Center on the UNCG campus.

Origin of the Student Health Name

UNCG’s Student Health Services building is named in honor of Anna Marie Gove , who served as the second health center director. The third woman licensed as a physician in the state of NC, Dr. Gove came to the State Normal and Industrial School (now UNCG) in 1893. She remained at the school as resident physician, professor of hygiene, and director of the Department of Health until her retirement in 1937, a total of forty-four years.

Fond of travel, Dr. Gove visited many parts of the world and was known as a fashionista. In 1896 and again in 1913, she visited Vienna for postgraduate study. During WWI, Dr. Gove served with the Red Cross in the Children’s Relief Division in Marseilles and Ardeche and with the Smith College Relief Unit.

In 1926, Dr. Gove took a year’s leave of absence from the college and traveled extensively in the Orient. She also spent many summers in study and clinical work in the United States at Cornell, Chicago, New York and Michigan. Dr. Gove died in Greensboro on January 28, 1948.

Learn more about the Anna Marie Gove Collection, 1864-1952 at UNCG’s Walter Clinton Jacson Library.

 


 

Links

The Anna Maria Gove Collection, 1864-1952

Learn more about the Anna Maria Gove Collection, 1864-1952 of UNCG’s Walter Clinton Jackson Library.