The UNC System has chosen Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina as the student health insurance carrier for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- Students are required to have health insurance to attend a UNC system school. Students with existing health insurance coverage can waive out of the school insurance plan. Visit www.bcbsnc.com/uncg.
- Students registered in 6 or more main campus credit hours must either “enroll in” or “waive out” of student health insurance by submitting information on-line to www.bcbsnc.com/uncg prior to the January 31, 2014 deadline.
- Students that do not submit an on-line waiver for verification of outside health insurance or students that do not
enroll themselves in the StudentBlue Insurance plan will automatically be enrolled and the insurance premium
WILL remain on your student account.
- To prevent delays in coverage for those students that will be participating in the StudentBlue plan, please enroll
as soon as you decide to accept the University’s coverage.
- Rates for the 2013-2014 Academic Year are $1,376 per year ($688 per semester).
Please go to www.bcbsnc.com/uncg for updates.
Some services may require Prior Approval
The UNC student insurance plan with Student Blue requires reviews for certain medical services and medications against healthcare management guidelines BEFORE services can be provided, such as:
- Inpatient Admissions
- Outpatient services and procedures in a doctor’s office
- Some prescription medications
For more information about which services require prior plan approval and instructions on how to request prior review, please go to Prior Approval Services.