The UNC System has chosen Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina as the student health insurance carrier for the 2015-2016 academic year.
THE ON-LINE ENROLLMENT AND WAIVER PERIOD FOR THE UPCOMING FALL 2015 SEMESTER WILL OPEN EARLY JUNE 2015!!!
TENTATIVE – PENDING APPROVAL
The 2015-2016 UNC System Student Health Insurance premium annual cost is expected to be $ 1,727.00, or $ 863.50 /semester.
Out-Of-Pocket Maximum $4,000.00
ER (Co-Pay then Co-insurance) $400.00
Office Visit (Co-Pay then Co-insurance) $25.00
Student Health Office Visit 100%
Drug Co-Pays $30/$60/$120
Student Health Drug Co-Pays $15/$15/$15
The voluntary and dependent plans have been eliminated as of 8/1/2015, but students and their dependents can go to the National Health Insurance Exchange to find coverage: https://www.healthcare.gov
Verify your insurance online.
- Student Blue, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, is the student health insurance carrier for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Students are required to have health insurance to attend a UNC system school. Students with existing health insurance coverage can waive out of the school insurance plan. Visit www.bcbsnc.com/uncg.
Students registered in 6 or more main campus credit hours must either “enroll in” or “waive out” of student health insurance each semester by submitting information on-line to www.bcbsnc.com/uncg prior to the semester deadline.
- Students that do not submit an on-line waiver for verification of outside health insurance or students that do not enroll themselves in the StudentBlue Insurance plan will automatically be enrolled and the insurance premium
WILL remain on your student account.
To prevent delays in coverage for those students that will be participating in the StudentBlue plan, please enroll as soon as you decide to accept the University’s coverage.
NOTE: Rates for the 2015-2016 Academic Year are not known at this time. Please go to www.bcbsnc.com/uncg for updates.
*If you select WAIVE, then you are required to submit proof of insurance online. Please do not fax or mail copies of insurance cards to the Student Insurance Office. We do not accept electronic copies of insurance cards.
*If you select ENROLL, then you are purchasing the campus endorsed student insurance plan through StudentBlue.
Some services may require Prior Approval
The UNC student insurance plan with Student Blue requires reviews for certain medical services and medications against healthcare management guidelines BEFORE services can be provided, such as:
- Inpatient Admissions
- Outpatient services and procedures in a doctor’s office
- Some prescription medications
For more information about which services require prior plan approval and instructions on how to request prior review, please go to Prior Approval Services.