The UNC System has chosen Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina as the student health insurance carrier for the 2015-2016 academic year. The cost for the student insurance plan is $863.50 per semester.
THE ON-LINE ENROLLMENT AND WAIVER PERIOD FOR THE UPCOMING SPRING 2016 SEMESTER IS OPEN. THE DEADLINE FOR SPRING 2016 IS FEBRUARY 1, 2016.
Deductible Coinsurance Out-of-Pocket Max. ER (Co-pay then Co-insurance) Office visit (Co-pay then Co-insurance) Student Health Office visit Drug Co-pays Student Health Drug Co-pays
$500.00 80% $4,000.00 $400.00 $25.00 100% $30/$60/$120 $15/$15/$15
The voluntary and dependent plans have been eliminated as of 8/1/2015, but students and their dependents can go to the National Health Insurance Exchange to find coverage: https://www.healthcare.gov
Verify your insurance online.
- Student Blue, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, is the student health insurance carrier for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Students are required to have health insurance to attend a UNC system school. Students with existing health insurance coverage can waive out of the school insurance plan. Visit www.bcbsnc.com/uncg.
- Students registered in 6 or more main campus credit hours are eligible for Student Blue and must either “enroll in” or “waive out” of student health insurance each semester by submitting information on-line to www.bcbsnc.com/uncg prior to the semester deadline.
- Students that do not submit an on-line waiver for verification of outside health insurance or students that do not enroll themselves in the StudentBlue Insurance plan will be default enrolled in the Student Blue plan mid-march. Insurance premiums WILL remain on student’s accounts if they do not waive their insurance prior to the February 1st deadline.
To prevent delays in coverage for those students that will be participating in the Student Blue plan, please enroll as soon as you decide to accept the University’s coverage.
*If you select WAIVE, then you are required to submit proof of insurance online. Please do not fax or mail copies of insurance cards to the Student Insurance Office. We do not accept electronic copies of insurance cards.
*If you select ENROLL, then you are purchasing the campus endorsed student insurance plan through Student Blue.
Student Health Services only files claims for Student Blue AFTER a student has enrolled in the plan.
Non-Student Blue Insurance Claims
NOTE : Students with outside health insurance are responsible for filing their own medical claims for reimbursement.
Some services may require Prior Approval
The UNC student insurance plan with Student Blue requires reviews for certain medical services and medications against healthcare management guidelines BEFORE services can be provided, such as:
- Inpatient Admissions
- Outpatient services and procedures in a doctor’s office
- Some prescription medications
For more information about which services require prior plan approval and instructions on how to request prior review, please go to Prior Approval Services.